Two Notable Sites in African American History
"Listing these sites, which represent milestones for New Jerseys African American community, ensure that their contributions to American history continue to be recognized not only now but for years to come," said Commissioner Campbell. "It is especially important for all people to understand and recognize the historical significance of both of these sites."
Community Hospital, now known as the New Salem Baptist Church, was founded in Newark in 1927 as the first hospital in the State of New Jersey built exclusively for the training of African American doctors and nurses at a time when segregation prevented their admission to other health facilities.
Community Hospital was founded by Dr. John A. Kenney, personal physician to Booker T. Washington and George W. Carver, and provided a facility in which African-American doctors could treat patients and develop professional techniques.
"Black history is all of our history," said Secretary of State Regena Thomas. "When we share our respective stories as a people we foster a greater understanding for all people. By adding these sites to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places, we are ensuring that New Jerseys rich and diverse history is preserved for future generations to come."
Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson is one of two surviving major athletic stadiums in New Jersey that predate WWII, and for a number of years was the regular home field of the New York Black Yankees, a Negro League baseball team. Hinchliffe is one of the only surviving regular home fields of a Negro League team in the mid-Atlantic region.
The stadium not only served the Paterson public schools, but also hosted minor league and semi-pro baseball and football games, track and field meets, boxing events and performances by touring entertainers. The stadium was constructed in 1931-32 in view of the Passaic River and the Great Falls.
The State Register of Historic Places is a list of properties and areas worthy of preservation for their historical, architectural, cultural or archaeological significance. New Jersey Register law requires review of any state, county or municipal undertaking that involves properties listed in the New Jersey Register. These reviews are designed to prevent destruction or damage of historic resources by public agencies.
Commissioner Campbell also announced the listing of Buzbys General Store in Woodland Township, Burlington County and the Chateau Bleu Motel in North Wildwood, Cape May County to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
Buzbys General Store, also known as the Chatsworth General Store, is a white cedar frame, two-story building built around 1865. The store has a long association with commerce and social life in the New Jersey Pinelands. Due to its isolation, the store served as a lifeline to many Pineland residents by providing groceries, hunting supplies, kerosene, animal feed, fabric, sewing items and clothing. Owned by the Buzby family for nearly 70 years, the store also functioned as a venue for public gatherings and social events in the area.
The Chateau Bleu Motel was constructed in 1962 and is significant for its architecture and the role it played in the development of North Wildwood as a popular shore resort.
The Chateau Bleu is a flat-roofed, two-story, L-shaped motel common to the Wildwoods. A port-cochere, with a curved concrete canopy supported by wishbone shaped columns, is attached to the office and decorative metal railings line the cantilevered balcony. A unique feature to this motel is the heart-shaped pool located in the central space formed by the L of the guestrooms.
Commissioner Campbell will also recommend that the properties be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, administered by the National Park Service.
Posted by: Staff at rt23.com
Website: New Jersey Register of Historic Places
February 26, 2004
Questions, comments, corrections? contact the Webmaster