Help Decrease Holiday Injuries
Alcohol- If accidentally swallowed by children and/or pets, leftover cocktails can be fatal! Always empty beverage glasses and place them out of reach of curious children and pets.
Medicines- Be sure to keep a safe, locked place for relatives and holiday visitors to store any medications they may be carrying with them. Never leave any medications in purses, nightstands, or in the bathroom where they are accessible to children.
Toy Safety- Be cautious of antique or foreign-made toys! They may contain lead and be hazardous to children. For Toy Safety call the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission at 1-800-638-2772.
Candles- Place candles in secure areas where they cannot fall or be knocked over by children and pets. Use non-flammable holders and remember that small amounts of melted wax can become a choking hazard to small children.
Fireplace: Before lighting any fire, remove all decorations from the area. Check to see that the flue is open. Keep a screen before the fireplace the entire time a fire is burning.
Button Batteries and Magnets-These items are easy to swallow and can cause serious harm to children and pets. If ingested, button batteries can get stuck in the throat or stomach causing serious burns. If two or more magnets are ingested, they can attract one another internally, resulting in serious damage to the stomach or intestines.
Holiday Plants- Many plants can be potentially harmful if eaten or handled improperly so decorate for the holiday season using non-poisonous plants if possible. Holiday plants which can produce some toxic effects, mainly gastrointestinal, include Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe, Boxwood and a variety of species of the Yew. Contrary to popular belief, Poinsettias are not considered toxic when consumed in small amounts. Call the NJ Poison Experts at 1-800-222-1222 to find out what other plants are considered to be toxic.
Fire Salts- Attractive when added to fires for the colorful flames they produce. These salts can produce serious stomach problems if ingested. They need to be kept out of reach from children.
Tree Ornaments- Ornaments resembling foods are as attractive as the real thing. A child or a dog may think a fake apple or cookie looks appetizing and attempt to eat it. If eaten, they can cause problems, so avoid using them for decoration. Take special care to avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable, especially in homes with small children and pets.
Artificial Snow Spray: This product can irritate lungs if inhaled. To avoid injury, follow the directions.
Lamp Oils- Lamp oils pose serious danger. Children are often confused by these oils because they look just like a beverage. If ingested, the oils can get into the lungs and cause pneumonia and even death. Many of the lamps containing these oils are not child-resistant and must be kept away from children and pets. When not in use, store the lamps and extra oils, the same way you would store any chemical - Lock them up and keep them out of the reach of children.
Wrapping Paper- DO NOT burn in the fireplace. They may contain toxic metals like lead, may burn at such a high temperature that they may prove dangerous to the fireplace, or flake and send sparks out into the room causing a potential fire.
Pets- Make sure to keep chocolate, cocoa, candy and sugarless gum that contains Xylitol, yeast bread dough, leftover fatty meat scraps, fruit cakes with raisins and currants, alcohol and illicit drugs out of reach of your pets. Ingestion of any of these can cause serious harm and even death. Be sure to keep all wires tucked away.
Tinsel- If you have a cat, tinsel should not be used to decorate. Cats tend to think it is a fun toy to play with since it shiny and gets their attention, but it can cause serious injury to your pet. If ingested, it can wrap around the tongue or anchor itself in the stomach making it impossible to pass through the intestines.
Cigars and Cigarettes- Empty all ashtrays after your holiday gathering. Children and pets have been known to eat cigars and cigarette "butts". There is enough nicotine in these tobacco products to be considered poisonous to children and pets.
Food- All foods should be prepared and cooked properly to avoid food poisoning. Food poisoning usually occurs two to six hours after eating the contaminated food and can include nausea, fever, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Depending on the exact type of food poisoning, how your body reacts to the toxin and the amount of contaminated food that was eaten, symptoms may last from several hours to two or three days. Food poisoning can be serious for people in poor health, as well as the very young and the elderly. For tips on food safety, please click on the link (http://www.njpies.org/News-and-Events/Press-Releases.aspx) to read our November press release.
Fireplace- Have chimneys and flues inspected by a professional before each heating season. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that poses a serious health concern. Carbon monoxide poisoning is often referred to as the "Silent Killer."
Help is Just a Phone Call Away!
If someone is unconscious, not breathing, seizing/convulsing, bleeding profusely, difficult to arouse/wake up, etc. call 911 immediately, otherwise call the NJ Poison Experts at (1-800-222-1222). Calls are free and confidential and help is available in over 150 languages; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. The experts are always here to help with accidents or questions involving medicines, chemicals or household products, etc. Program the Poison Help line (800-222-1222) into your cell phone and post it near your home and office phones too.
Program the Poison Help line (800-222-1222) into your cell phone and post it near your home and office phones too. There are no silly questions and our trained medical staff are always available to answer a question, quell a fear, provide advice, or intervene to get emergency services on site and prepped to provide the needed protocol in the fastest response time. When in doubt, check it out - Prevention is truly the best possible medicine.
Real People. Real Answers.
As New Jerseys only poison control center, the New Jersey Poison Information & Education System provides information on poison prevention and treatments. Chartered in 1983, NJPIES provides free consultation through telephone hot line services and the Web. Medical professionals such as physicians, registered nurses and pharmacists offer confidential advice regarding poison
emergencies and provide information on poison prevention, drugs, food poisoning, animal bites and more. These specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
NJPIES coordinates state poison education and research and is designated as the regional poison center by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and the American Association of Poison Control Centers. It tracks incidences of adverse reactions to food, drugs and vaccines in order to monitor potential public health issues and provide data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A division of the Department of Preventive
Medicine and Community Health of the New Jersey Medical School of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. NJPIES has a state-of-the-art center located on the schools Newark campus. NJPIES is funded, in part, by the NJ Department of Health and the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
New Jersey residents seeking immediate information about treating poison emergencies, and those with any drug information questions, should call the toll-free hot line, 800-222-1222, any time. The hearing impaired may call 973-926-8008. For more information, visit www.njpies.org or call 973-972-9280.
Established in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is Americas eighth oldest institution of higher learning and one of the nations premier public research universities. Serving more than 65,000 students on campuses, centers, institutes and other locations throughout the state, Rutgers is the only public university in New Jersey that is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities.
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) is the health care education, research, and clinical division of Rutgers University, comprising nine schools and their attendant faculty practices, centers, institutes and clinics; New Jerseys leading comprehensive cancer care center; and New Jerseys largest behavioral health care network. Posted by: rt23 staff
December 20, 2013
Questions, comments, corrections? contact the Webmaster