From the restoration of a Revolutionary War period farmstead in Somerset County, to a conversion of an industrial building into luxury rental units in Camden, this years award recipients have successfully preserved history and captured important components of New Jerseys past.
"I commend these groups and individuals for their dedication to preserving New Jerseys cultural and architectural treasures," said DEP Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell. "Their advocacy in protecting important artifacts of our past will enhance New Jerseys future quality of life."
The New Jersey Historic Preservation Awards Program is held annually to increase public awareness of historic preservation; recognize projects of excellent quality and contributions by individuals, organizations and agencies; and acknowledge volunteer contributions to preserve historic resources.
For the past 14 years, the DEP and the Historic Sites Council have recognized outstanding contributions to historic preservation in New Jersey.
This years award recipients include:
The Metropolitan Inn
(Burlington City, Burlington County)
Pennrose Properties received an award for the successful rehabilitation of this once abandoned property into affordable housing for low income seniors, expansion of versatile retail space and preservation of the buildings architecture, adjacent to the new River Line rail stop.
Straight Street Bridge
(Paterson, Passaic County)
Recognition went to the NJ Department of Transportation and the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders for the successful rehabilitation of this 1907 Pennsylvania through truss bridge, located at the site of one of Americas first planned industrial centers in Paterson.
Close to Home…History In Our Own Backyard
(Bergen Record, Hackensack, Bergen County)
The Bergen Record was recognized for their weekly series promoting New Jersey history through a series of educational adds, complimented by teacher in-service events to teach educators how to incorporate local history in their lesson plans and challenging students to visit area historic sites.
Jacobus Vanderveer House
(Bedminster, Somerset County)
The Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House and the Township of Bedminster were acknowledged for the successful rehabilitation of a Revolutionary War period farmstead, demonstrating careful stewardship and excellent preservation.
Salem Old House Foundation/Rehabilitation of the Samuel Wright House
(Salem City, Salem County)
An award was presented to the Salem Old House Foundation for their rehabilitation of a historically significant, formerly abandoned residential property in Salem. As the first of its kind in New Jersey, the Foundation was created to give new life to forgotten domestic architecture and will serve as a model for other communities.
The Ackerman-Dater House
(Saddle River, Bergen County)
Edward and Patricia De-Sear were given an award for their careful rehabilitation and sensitive addition to a historically and architecturally significant 1745 stone house in Bergen County.
Sam Azeez Museum of Woodbine Heritage
(Woodbine, Cape May County)
Michael Azeez and the Town of Woodbine were honored for their restoration of the Woodbine Brotherhood Synagogue and adaptation into a museum interpreting the early Jewish settlement in Dennis Township.
The Hackensack Water Works
by Clifford Zink
(Oradell, Bergen County)
Clifford Zink and the Water Works Conservancy were given an award for the newly published book documenting the industrial legacy reflected in the Hackensack Water Works. Currently owned by Bergen County, the plant played an integral part in developing water purification.
Wayne T. McCabe
(Newton, Sussex County)
Wayne T. McCabe was honored with a 2004 preservation award for his life long commitment and dedication to the field of historic preservation.
The Nipper Building - The Victor
(Camden, Camden County)
Dranoff Properties was the recipient of an award recognizing the transformation of this industrial landmark on Camdens waterfront into 341 luxury rental units.
For more information, go to http://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo Posted by: Staff at rt23.com
Website: NJ DEP Historic Preservation Office
May 12, 2004
Questions, comments, corrections? contact the Webmaster